Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Skyway Songs



This is the first in a series of mixtapes where I highlight my favorite bands. Please please please if you enjoy the songs on this mixtape make it a point to buy some vinyl or a cd or MP3s or whatever your poison is. These songs are just the tip of the iceberg and there's way more amazing music where they came from. Thanks for listening.

I love the Replacements. I was a little bit late to the party but once I got there it was impossible to leave.
When I listen to the Replacements they're undoubtedly the greatest Rock and Roll band in the history of music. No one ever wrote better lyrics, rocked harder, had sweeter ballads, drank more beer or played cooler leads (at least when Bob was in the band). I'm not joking when I say their songs changed my life and the way I think about music and what it means to be in a band. It was never enough to just rock out. These songs are goddamn art.

When it comes to the 'Mats the lyrics are my favorite part so I'm gonna highlight some of my favorite lines of theirs when applicable.

Skyway Songs
  1. Kids Don't Follow (Stink)
  2. I Will Dare "How young are you? How old am I? Let's count the rings around my eyes" (Let It Be)
  3. Bastards Of Young "Dreams unfulfilled, graduate unskilled. It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten" (Tim)
  4. Can't Hardly Wait "I'll be home when I'm sleepin" (Pleased To Meet Me)
  5. Nobody "Yeah you're still in love with nobody, and I used to be nobody" (All Shook Down )
  6. Unsatisfied "How can you look me in the eye and tell me that you're satisfied?" (Let It Be)
  7. Kiss Me On The Bus "If you knew how I felt now, you wouldn't act so adult now" (Tim)
  8. Achin' To Be (Don't Tell A Soul)
  9. Within Your Reach "I can live without your touch. Die within your reach" (Hootenanny)
  10. Skyway (Pleased To Meet Me)
  11. Left Of The Dial (Tim)
  12. Alex Chilton (Pleased To Meet Me)
  13. Color Me Impressed (Hootenanny)
  14. Favorite Thing (Let It Be)
  15. Swingin Party "If being afraid is a crime then we'll hang side by side" (Tim)
  16. I'll Be You "Lonely, I guess that's where I'm from" (Don't Tell A Soul)
  17. Answering Machine "How do you say good night to an answering machine?" (Let It Be)
  18. Here Comes A Regular "You're like a picture on the fridge that's never stocked with food" (Tim)
  19. Beer For Breakfast (All For Nothing/Nothing For All)
  20. If Only You Were Lonely "Forgot my one good line so I just said what I felt" (B-Side from Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash!)
Also you know they're a good band if other great bands are writing tributes to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment